May 2017- Save it for a rainy day

“Life on the mission field has its “focused” moments, like getting the Gospel out to the people, or ministering to the physical needs of those within your reach. Then there are those moments when the unexpected fights for all your attention.” -Chuck Martinez, Missionary to Guatemala.

A few flights– The weather pattern as we move into wet season, it is less erratic and becoming easier to predict. Support flights were few during this month of seasonal transition, but each was successful and conducted with and eye toward safety and excellence.

On the other hand– (No time like the present, right?!?) Administration and maintenance must take place so that the aircraft remains in a ready state at all times.  On that note, 24 calendar months have passed since our last Pitot/Static certification. Altimeters, transponders, and the integrity of the entire ram and static air system must be tested to ensure the accuracy of critical instruments and displays.

Small is the new large. All tools and test fixtures can now be easily transported in a backpack.

This is were bro Tom Dufresne, of Poor Boys Avionics, in San Angelo TX, is a welcome site after two years. For many years, bro Tom has faithfully carried all his bulky test equipment to missionary aviation locations in Mexico, Central and South America. In this way he is advancing the Great Commission, by keeping us flying.

No need to airline check large cases to transport needed test equipment. Its all carry-on in a camera size bag. EZ Peezy, Lemon Squeezy!

Oh Well, speaking of which. The well at the MWI hangar has been in service over 20 years and on occasion fails, leaving us without water. Four Living Water Teaching employees battle the ancient well by hand, for 4 days.

Faithful and good natured ministry workers, set about the task of reviving the well at the Mercy Wings International hangar in Quetzaltenango Guatemala.

Two men are 300 feet down the well, with only a small lamp to light their way. A build up of silt has reduced the volume of water to the point where the pump can no longer reach it. Four days of dark, damp, bucket-by-bucket work brought the well back to working order……Thanks Guys!

Notice the bailing-wire, and make-shift cobbling together of unrelated equipment to get the job done. Lowering men, then lowering a home-fortified 5 gallon bucket, to be filled, raised, emptied, and lowered over and over again from 300ft. Looks like it could be dangerous work. Take heart, they were all wearing safety vests…….but that’s another story.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *